Monday, December 13, 2010

err on the side of mercy and grace

"And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise. For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? for sinners also do even the same. And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again. But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil" (Luke 6:31-35).

When I read about the attitude that Jesus said believers are to have for even their enemies, I thought to myself, "Christians sometimes have a hard time having the right attitude toward each other, let alone their enemies." We can so easily justify not being merciful unto others, especially when we forget that we are all just sinners saved by grace. O but let us not forget the words of the prophet Jeremiah, "This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness" (Lam. 3:21-23).

It's by God's grace that I'm saved. It's by God's grace that I'm walking with God today. It's by God's grace that I'm a Pastor with the wonderful privilege to preach and teach the word of God. The Apostle Paul put it this way, "For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me" (1 Cor. 15:9-10).

I've let God down more times than I care to admit. I've failed God so many times. How dare I be so quick to write somebody off because they've disappointed me or let me down? In the light of how good God has been to me, how so very patient and merciful He's been to me, I feel like, if I'm ever going to err in my relationship with others, may it always be on the side of Grace and mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Protect your Children from Shame

Don’t  Protect your Children from Shame   Over the years, I’ve heard many sermons and read many articles suggesting that feeling shame is ha...