Monday, September 13, 2010

Jesus is the captain of my soul

"But after long abstinence Paul stood forth in the midst of them and said, Sirs, ye should have hearkened unto me, and not have loosed from Crete, and to have gained this harm and loss. And now I exhort you to be of good cheer: for there shall be no loss of any man's life among you, but of the ship. For there stood by me this night the angel of God, whose I am, and whom I serve, Saying, Fear not, Paul; thou must be brought before Caesar: and, lo, God hath given thee all them that sail with thee. Wherefore, sirs, be of good cheer: for I believe God, that it shall be even as it was told me" (Acts 27:21-25).

While Paul was in the custody of Roman authorities, on a ship caught in a perfect storm, he got alone with God. During that time God didn't stop the storm. Instead, the Lord reassured Paul of something that we must never forget especial when we encounter storms in our own lives. As the storm was raging around Paul, God reminded him of his sovereign control not only over the seas, but in the affairs of men.

God is so big that he used Paul's captors to bring Paul to Rome without them even realizing that they were cooperating with God. Even though foolish men might appear to be in charge of the sailing ship that your on, God is in charge of the wind. William Ernest Henley, ended his famous poem entitled, "Invictus" with these words, "I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul." But I'm sure the Apostle Paul would have preferred Dorthy Day's version: "Jesus is the master of my fate, Jesus is the captain of my soul."

Invictus
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley


Invictus rewritten by Dorothy Day

Out of the night that dazzles me,
Bright as the sun from pole to pole,
I thank the God I know to be
For Christ the conqueror of my soul.

Since His the sway of circumstance,
I would not wince nor cry aloud.
Under that rule which men call chance
My head with joy is humbly bowed.

Beyond this place of sin and tears
That life with Him! And His the aid,
Despite the menace of the years,
Keeps, and shall keep me, unafraid.

I have no fear, though strait the gate,
He cleared from punishment the scroll.
Christ is the Master of my fate,
Christ is the Captain of my soul

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Protect your Children from Shame

Don’t  Protect your Children from Shame   Over the years, I’ve heard many sermons and read many articles suggesting that feeling shame is ha...