Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Little energy for prayer little knowledge of God

"And whiles I was speaking, and praying, and confessing my sin and the sin of my people Israel, and presenting my supplication before the LORD my God for the holy mountain of my God; Yea, whiles I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel, whom I had seen in the vision...being caused to fly swiftly, touched me...And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, O Daniel, I am now come forth to give thee skill and understanding" (Dan 9:20-22).

In the previous meditation we learned that we need to turn our knowledge about God into knowledge of God. We do this as J.I. Packer suggests by "turning each truth that we learn about God into matter for meditation before God, leading to prayer and praise to God."

Daniel is a great example of a man who not only knew about God but who knew God in a life changing earth shaking way. And inevitably his great thoughts and intimate knowledge of God energized him to trust and depend upon God in prayer. As a result Daniel was strong and did great exploits (Dan. 11:32). Little energy for prayer, which leads to experiencing the power of God to effect change in our world, "is a sure sign that we scarcely know our God" (J.I. Packer).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Protect your Children from Shame

Don’t  Protect your Children from Shame   Over the years, I’ve heard many sermons and read many articles suggesting that feeling shame is ha...