Saturday, August 14, 2010

"I'll be praying for you" is not just something nice to say in passing...

"Moreover as for me, God forbid that I should sin against the Lord in. ceasing to pray for you: but I will teach you the good and right way: Only fear the LORD, and serve him in truth with all your heart: for consider how great things he hath done for you" (1 Sam. 12:23-24).

The Prophet Samuel was one of Israel's most respected leaders. He was a man of great character and integrity before God and his people. He not only taught the people the good and right way, he live it. Thomas Morel wrote, "The first great gift we can bestow on others is a good example." Samuel's life spoke as powerfully as his words. He was a great leader not only because he lived what he preached but he was also a man of prayer. "I'll pray for you" was not just something nice to say to someone in passing; it was a conviction that Samuel practice continuously. His conviction about the power of intercessory prayer was so strong that he considered it a sin if he were to cease praying for his people. I shared this thought at a meeting tonight and one of my brothers said, "Samuel viewed not praying for others as a sin? I'm just starting to realize that I need to get a better handle on some of my anger issues. I guess I have still have a long way to go to get to that level." May we be God's gift to others by living lives of integrity and praying for others without ceasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Protect your Children from Shame

Don’t  Protect your Children from Shame   Over the years, I’ve heard many sermons and read many articles suggesting that feeling shame is ha...