Thursday, September 2, 2010

If our Christianity is worth something it's costing us something

"And the king said...Nay; but I will surely buy it of thee at a price: neither will I offer burnt offerings unto the LORD my God of that which doth cost me nothing" (2 Sam. 24:24).

David's high view of God was such that when he did something for God he wanted it to cost him something. I read recently that a Pastor from the U.S. was visiting an underground house church overseas. A woman from the area asked, "I have a T.V. and every once in a while I am able to watch church services from the U.S. I see the preachers, and they are dressed in very nice clothes, and they are preaching in very nice buildings. Some of them even tell me that if I have faith, I too can have nice things." Knowing that most of her fellow church members were very poor and came to church at great risk she asked, "Does this mean we do not have enough faith?" On the contrary, it was exemplified in that they were willing for their faith to cost them. Jesus said, "And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me" (Matthew 10:38). Is the life you’re living worth Jesus dying for? If our Christianity is worth something it's costing us something and we should not want it any other way. Jesus is worthy of our very best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Protect your Children from Shame

Don’t  Protect your Children from Shame   Over the years, I’ve heard many sermons and read many articles suggesting that feeling shame is ha...