Sunday, September 19, 2010

Praying in the Spirit

"Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words" (Rom. 8:26).

Do you struggle to know how to pray and what to pray for? I have good news for you; God has given you a helper. When we pray the Holy Spirit is there in our weakness to not only help us to know how to pray and what to pray for, but to intercede for us--to pray for us. Too often we rush into prayer without any thought that we need the Spirit's help to pray. In fact when we pray Paul exhorts us to do so in the Spirit(Eph 6:18).

Through the Spirit we can pray prayers without words. When we're burdened down with the cares of this life and we pray in the Spirit even the groanings that we utter and the tears we shed before God are interpreted by him. There are times when I have fallen on my knees in prayer with a great burden on my heart and all I could do was groan and cry. Although I didn't speak a word the Spirit brought me into the arms of my heavenly father and allowed me to hear him say, "Its all right son. You don't have to say a word. I'm here and I love you and I'm going to get you through this." I've heard it said, "It's better to pray prayers with heart and no words than with words and no heart." When you pray don't just rush into it. Wait on the Spirit to prompt you and help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Protect your Children from Shame

Don’t  Protect your Children from Shame   Over the years, I’ve heard many sermons and read many articles suggesting that feeling shame is ha...