Thursday, September 6, 2012

What is the most important quality of a great leader?

"For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them" (1 Cor. 9:19)

What would you say is the most important quality of a great leader? Is it intelligence, vision, or competency? These may all be necessary qualities of an effective leader, but neither one of them lines up with what God's word reveals is the most important quality of all, namely "humility" (or a servant spirit). Paul, who live in a time and place where slavery was legal said, "For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all..." Paul, who had apostolic authority, who wrote most of the New Testament, who saw the risen Lord with his own eyes, wanted to be known as a true servant in the eyes of those he sought to lead to Christ. To the Corinthian church he wrote that although he had a right to receive momentary funds for his gospel work, he did not seek it or require it in order not to be a stumbling block unto others. During his missionary travels, Paul was willing to sacrifice everything, give up his rights, and go along with any tradition or cultural standard (as long as it didn't violate scripture) in order to remove any hindrance to reaching people for Christ. Thomas Merton wrote, "To consider persons and events and situations only in the light of their effect upon myself is to live on the doorstep of hell." When we make the gospel ministry about "me myself and I" not only are we not serving the cause, but we will be a hindrance to the cause of Christ. Paul's motivation and satisfaction as a leader was not personal advantage, looking good, or even satisfying his own ego. His motivation and satisfaction came from knowing that by preaching the gospel and serving others he was serving the savior and his eternal cause. Make serving the cause of Christ about serving Jesus, about making him look good and you will be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Protect your Children from Shame

Don’t  Protect your Children from Shame   Over the years, I’ve heard many sermons and read many articles suggesting that feeling shame is ha...