Thursday, December 26, 2013

Wonderful Counselor

"But I have trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice in your salvation. I will sing to the Lord, because he has dealt bountifully with me. (Psalm 13:5, 6)

In Psalm 13 David expresses His deep discouragement to God. He seems to blame God for why he is so down to the point of feeling he's at death's door step. He writes in verses 1-4: "How long, O Lord ? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? How long must I take counsel in my soul and have sorrow in my heart all the day? How long shall my enemy be exalted over me? Consider and answer me, O Lord my God; light up my eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death, lest my enemy say, “I have prevailed over him,” lest my foes rejoice because I am shaken. (Psalm 13:1-4).

We can view these words as a complaint that David brings before God, but we can also see in this complaint David's recognition that the answer to the anguish in his soul is found in God. We also see that the anguish that he is experiencing was not only due to his circumstances, but also to what his own heart was telling him about his circumstances. In other words, he was listening to himself rather than God. He was zoned in on what was going on around him rather than looking to the God sitting on heavens throne above him. He was giving in to the weak counsels of his own heart, rather than trusting in the Wonderful Counsellor of Heaven.

To trust in the Wonderful Counsellor doesn't always mean that you will understand his ways, but that you trust in his worth. Because of who He is, He is worthy of our trust even when we can't understand his ways. This is what we see that David does in the end of Psalm 13. He trusted in the steadfast love of The Lord. As he turned his focus from what his heart was saying to who his Father is, namely love, his heart began to change. His heart changed from an attitude of resignation to rejoicing. As his heart began rejoicing his sour words before God turned to songs of praise to His God. Our sour words will also become songs of worship as we learn to turn from our weak counsel and trust in He who is called Wonderful Counsellor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Protect your Children from Shame

Don’t  Protect your Children from Shame   Over the years, I’ve heard many sermons and read many articles suggesting that feeling shame is ha...