Monday, December 24, 2018

Appalled or entertained

Appalled or entertained 

“As soon as I heard this, I tore my garment and my cloak and pulled hair from my head and beard and sat appalled. Then all who trembled at the words of the God of Israel, because of the faithlessness of the returned exiles, gathered around me while I sat appalled until the evening sacrifice. And at the evening sacrifice I rose from my fasting, with my garment and my cloak torn, and fell upon my knees and spread out my hands to the Lord my God, saying: "O my God, I am ashamed and blush to lift my face to you, my God, for our iniquities have risen higher than our heads, and our guilt has mounted up to the heavens.” Ezra 9:3-6

What was the sin of the people that Ezra was appalled by and ashamed about before God? It wasn’t his sin that he was appalled and ashamed by. The people of God had intermarried with the idolatrous pagans in the land. Ezra was appalled by the sin of being unequally yoked together with unbelievers (2 Cor. 6:14-18). If Ezra were alive today Pastoring a church, he would have no hair left. 

Among other things, this is a major issue among professing believers today. They fail to wait on the Lord for the right one and marry unbelievers. Worse yet, they engage in sexual immorality before marriage. When was the last time you witnessed two virgins getting married at the altar? Should this be unusual in the church of Jesus Christ?  

In addition, Christians today watch movies and television dramas that glorify sin, like adultery and fornication, and are entertained. Ezra was appalled, ashamed, guilty and blushed before God. We’re entertained. I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen somebody blush? We’ve come along way. 

Paul wrote, “Do all things without grumbling or disputing, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world,” Philippians‬ ‭2:14-15

How can we shine as lights in a corrupt and perverse society when we don’t view sin as God does? The church today is in desperate need of a fresh view of the holiness of God. 

May we turn from the filth and get into the word or the world will get deeper into us (Romans 12:1-2). Let us pray as David did, “Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me”‭‭(Psalms‬ ‭51:10‬). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Protect your Children from Shame

Don’t  Protect your Children from Shame   Over the years, I’ve heard many sermons and read many articles suggesting that feeling shame is ha...