Monday, December 10, 2018

With us is the Lord our God, to help us and to fight our battles.

“Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or dismayed before the king of Assyria and all the horde that is with him, for there are more with us than with him. With him is an arm of flesh, but with us is the Lord our God, to help us and to fight our battles." And the people took confidence from the words of Hezekiah king of Judah.” 2 Chronicles 32:7-8

During the reign of Hezekiah, who was one of the few godly kings to reign over Judah, the King of Assyria and his forces came against Judah. Interestingly we learn that this happened not because Hezekiah was unfaithful. In 2 Chronicle 32:1 we read: “After these things and these acts of faithfulness, Sennacherib king of Assyria came and invaded Judah and encamped against the fortified cities, thinking to win them for himself.” 

After Hezekiah became King, one of the great acts that he performed was in assuring that the priest and the Levites could give themselves to the service of the house and law of the Lord. At the end of chapter 31, we read: “Thus Hezekiah did throughout all Judah, and he did what was good and right and faithful before the Lord his God. And every work that he undertook in the service of the house of God and by the law and the commandments, seeking his God, he did with all his heart and prospered” (2 Chronicles 31:20-21). 

However, although Hezekiah was faithful to the Lord, He experienced great opposition. The enemy wasn’t happy. The King of Assyria and his forces came against Judah. But Hezekiah reminded the people, it may look like we are surrounded. Oh but if you could see what I see. We are surrounded by God (2 Chron 32:7-8). “With him [the King of Assyria] is an arm of flesh, but with us is the Lord our God.” 

Five months ago, I was given a death sentence. I had a recurrence of cancer. Stage four. The surgeon that operated on me in June believed that I only had a few months to live. 

I had some fierce battles with the enemy early on, who assaulted my mind with lies. But by the grace of God, I fought Him with the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God and by standing on the promises of God. 

One particular song was a blessing to me during this time and continues to be. The chorus goes like this: 
This is how I fight my battles—this is how I fight my battles—It may look like I’m surrounded, but I’m surrounded by you. 

Knowing that I’m surrounded—that I’m secure in the love of Jesus no matter what happens—knowing that nothing gets past God that He doesn’t allow for my good and His glory has given me courage and carried me through some really tough times. 

Because I know that I’m secure in the love of Jesus, who gave His life for me, I was able to look death in the eyes and say, “So if I die I go to be with Jesus. What else do you got? Jesus is far better
 (Philippians 1:21-26). 

But although I’m secure in the love of Jesus and I know where I’m going when I die, there are many on this earth that I also love, especially my wife, sons and beloved family and church family, that I want to continue to serve for the greater fame of Jesus. I want to continue to serve the cause of Christ, namely to preach the good news of the saving grace of Jesus Christ!  

God has turned things around in relation to my cancer diagnosis. My new surgeon, who already removed a tumor that I was told was impossible, believes that after my next surgery, I will be cancer free. 

I believe God has given me a second chance at living this life here on earth. I didn’t want to blow it before and I surely don’t want to blow it now. 

I have a sense of the brevity of life like never before. I have a new courage that comes from having faced death and knowing that no matter what happens I’m secure in the love of Jesus. And the things that matter most are more precious to 
me than ever before. 

I don’t fear death anymore. I fear wasting my 
life. 

And by the grace of God, I’m going to live the remaining days of my life for the glory of God and the eternal good of others no matter what the cost. I know it will be worth it all when we see Jesus. 

In view of the cross, may we all in this great love live to serve God by serving others no matter what the cost to the glory of Jesus! We will never regret it. Life is precious. Let’s make our God given life 
count in time and eternity. Stay faithful even when it looks like you are surrounded by the enemy, because you are surrounded by God! He will be their to help us and to fight our battles.

https://youtu.be/YBl84oZxnJ4

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Protect your Children from Shame

Don’t  Protect your Children from Shame   Over the years, I’ve heard many sermons and read many articles suggesting that feeling shame is ha...