Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Isn't the love of Jesus something wonderful

"Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called Gethsemane, and saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder. 37 And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be sorrowful and very heavy. 38 Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me. 39 And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt. 40 And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour?" (Matthew. 26:36-40).

When the soul of Jesus was in deep sorrow as his crucifixion drew near, He said to His disciples at Gethsemane, "tarry ye here, and watch (stay awake) with me." Notice that as the darkest hour in history approached, Jesus desired that His disciples stay with Him in prayer. When Jesus, who was a short distance away praying, got up momentarily to come to His disciples, he found them asleep. And He says to Peter, "What, could you not watch with me one hour?" I'm going to be nailed to a cross for your sin. While on that cross people are going to mock me and wag their heads at me saying, "If you are the son of God come down from the cross." My Father will turn His face from me as I am made a curse for you. And could you not stay awake with me and pray with me for one hour? How about you? Do you not desire daily to spend at least one hour with the lover of your soul?

As I ponder the thought of Jesus anguishing in prayer in the garden of Gethsemane I'm overcome with a deep sense of Jesus' love for me. Jesus expereinced deep sorrow and suffered a cruel death on a Roman cross so that I could stay with Him and commune with Him not only in this life but for all eternity. As Jesus desired for His disciples to stay with Him he desires for me to do the same. Jesus wants me to stay with Him in prayer--to commune with him through His word--to talk with Him and listen to him. And I too long for Jesus to stay with me and to bless me with the joy of His presence. Oh as that great old Hymn puts it:


There will never be a sweeter story,
Story of the Savior's love divine,
Love that bro't Him from the realms of Glory,
Just to save a sinful soul like mine.

Chorus
Isn't the love of Jesus something wonderful,
Wonderful, wonderful.
O isn't the love of Jesus something wonderful,
Wonderful it is to me.

Boundless as the universe around me,
Reaching to the farthest soul away,
Saving, keeping love it was that found me,
That is why my heart can truly say;


Chorus
Isn't the love of Jesus something wonderful,
Wonderful, wonderful.
O isn't the love of Jesus something wonderful,
Wonderful it is to me.

Love beyond our human comprehending,
Love of God in Christ how can it be?
This will be my theme and never ending,
Great redeeming love of Calvary.


Chorus
Isn't the love of Jesus something wonderful,
Wonderful, wonderful.
O isn't the love of Jesus something wonderful,
Wonderful it is to me.

I love you Jesus, with all my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Protect your Children from Shame

Don’t  Protect your Children from Shame   Over the years, I’ve heard many sermons and read many articles suggesting that feeling shame is ha...