Thursday, December 16, 2010

Look for ways to be a blessing to people that really need it.

"Then said he also to him that bade him, When thou makest a dinner or a supper, call not thy friends, nor thy brethren, neither thy kinsmen, nor thy rich neighbours; lest they also bid thee again, and a recompense be made thee. But when thou makest a feast, call the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind: And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just" (Luke 14:12-14).

Many today have different ideas about what the Spirit of Christmas is all about. But if Jesus is the reason for the season then Christmas is about celebrating the humble, and sacrificial acts of Jesus that began when He was conceived in a virgin's womb. How many of us get caught up in the frenzy of gift giving that has little resemblance to the selfless way in which Jesus gave during His first advent? We make financial sacrifices and max out credit cards to buy gifts for our loves ones that they don't really need. We buy last minute Christmas gifts for others simply because we found out that they're getting us something. In my opinion there's nothing wrong with buying our love ones and friends gifts at Christmas time. But is that what a true spirit of Christmas represents?

In Matthew Jesus describes the kind of giving that not only Honors him but is suppose to be characteristic of those who are going to heaven. He said, "Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me" (Matthew 25:34-40).

When was the last time you gave something to someone who had a real need expecting nothing in return? When was the last time you visited a stranger in a nursing home, hospital or prison in order that you might be an encouragement to them? There are a lot of lonely people, especially around Christmas time that are in need of encouragement. Jesus said, "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." Do you desire to bless the heart of Jesus not only during this season but all year long? If you do, look for ways to be a blessing to people that really need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Protect your Children from Shame

Don’t  Protect your Children from Shame   Over the years, I’ve heard many sermons and read many articles suggesting that feeling shame is ha...