Friday, March 25, 2011

He often refreshed me,

"The Lord give mercy unto the house of Onesiphorus; for he oft refreshed me, and was not ashamed of my chain: But, when he was in Rome, he sought me out very diligently, and found me" (2 Tim. 1:16-17).

This second epistle of Paul to Timothy was written to strengthen Timothy in the Lord in the face of increasing opposition and persecution. It appears that Timothy was becoming fearful and reluctant in standing for Christ and fulfilling his calling as a minister of the gospel. Therefore Paul, under the inspiration of the Spirit, encouraged Timothy with words like, "Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus" (2 Tim. 2:1). In order to over come fear Timothy needed to be reminded not to trust in himself, but in the grace and power of God. Paul wrote, "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind" (2 Tim 1:7).

Thank God for those in our lives, who like Paul, encourage us in the Lord. We all need it. Paul himself wrote about a faithful friend who often refreshed him by visiting him when he was a prisoner in Rome. Paul wrote of Onesiphrous, "...he sought me out very diligently, and found me" (2 Tim. 1:17). When was the last time you visited someone in a nursing home, hospital or prison? Jesus said, "Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: 36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. 37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? 38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? 39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? 40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me" (Matthew 25:34-40).

May we often be found diligently seeking to be a refreshing blessing to others for Jesus sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Protect your Children from Shame

Don’t  Protect your Children from Shame   Over the years, I’ve heard many sermons and read many articles suggesting that feeling shame is ha...