Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Let us draw near

"Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus, 20 by the new and living way that he opened for us through the curtain, that is, through his flesh, 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water" (Heb. 10:20-21).

Notice that the author of Hebrews reminds believers how, with great confidence and full assurance of faith, they are to draw near to God. Where does this confidence and assurance by which we are to draw close to God come from? It comes "by the blood of Jesus" (Heb. 10:19). To be near to God is why we were saved, its what our souls long for and its the only way that we will be truly satisfied.

Because of are sin we deserve to be separated from God for all eternity in hell. "But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, 5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved)" (Eph. 2:4-5). God gave his best when he gave his son who shed his blood that we may boldly and confidently draw near to God. The blood of Jesus has opened wide the door for us to commune with God. Jesus invites us, "Come unto me" and yet many professing Christians do not come. Why? Many Christians have allowed themselves to be distracted, deceived and drawn away from God by the allurements of this world. Another cause is that some have allowed the guilt of their sin to keep them from drawing near. But the author of Hebrews writes, "let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience..." When our past sins condemn us we must remember that we've been washed in the blood of the lamb. If we sin against God in the present we must fully embrace the promise, "If we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us of our sin and cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9). "Even when we feel dull and lifeless, we should say, "O God, I am dull and lifeless, and there is only one hope for me, nearness to you. I come. Have mercy on me and touch me with your flame and set me on fire again. Give me life in your presence. Open my eyes to your glory and make me live again" (Piper). Draw near to God and he will draw near to you.

 "Draw me near"

 I am Thine, O Lord, I have heard Thy voice, And it told Thy love to me; But I long to rise in the arms of faith And be closer drawn to Thee.

 Refrain: Draw me nearer, nearer blessed Lord, To the cross where Thou hast died; Draw me nearer, nearer, nearer blessed Lord, To Thy precious, bleeding side.

 Consecrate me now to Thy service, Lord, By the pow’r of grace divine; Let my soul look up with a steadfast hope, And my will be lost in Thine.

 Oh, the pure delight of a single hour That before Thy throne I spend, When I kneel in prayer, and with Thee, my God I commune as friend with friend!

 There are depths of love that I cannot know Till I cross the narrow sea; There are heights of joy that I may not reach Till I rest in peace with Thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Protect your Children from Shame

Don’t  Protect your Children from Shame   Over the years, I’ve heard many sermons and read many articles suggesting that feeling shame is ha...