Monday, October 4, 2010

God is blessed when our work is a labor of love

"For we have great joy and consolation in thy love, because the bowels of the saints are refreshed by thee, brother. Wherefore, though I might be much bold in Christ to enjoin thee that which is convenient, Yet for love's sake I rather beseech thee, being such an one as Paul the aged, and now also a prisoner of Jesus Christ. I beseech thee for my son Onesimus, whom I have begotten in my bonds" (Philemon 7-10).

In this letter Paul was writing to Philemon, a brother in Christ, to appeal to him for Onesimus. Onesimus was probably what we would call today an indentured servant. He was under obligation to serve Philemon for a designated amount of time but for some unknown reason Onesimus took off. While on the run Paul led Onesimus to Christ. As a Christian, Onesimus wanted to get things right with his boss and it was for this reason that Paul wrote to Philemon on behalf of Onesimus. Notice that rather than pulling rank on Philemon Paul chose to appeal to him knowing that he knew the love of Jesus. Paul knew that Philemon would do the right thing not because he had to but because he wanted to. When we really know Jesus, our highest motive for serving him will not be because of a sense of obligation but because of a desire to please the lover of our souls.

The church of Ephesus in Revelation chapter two had this testimony: "Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks; I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars: And hast borne, and hast patience, and for my name's sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted. Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love" (Rev. 2:1-4). This church labored in the work of God, had their doctrine right and even hated evil. Yet this service was not acceptable to God because it lacked the motivation of love for the savior. Notice Paul's testimony concerning the Thesselonian Church: "We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers; Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father; Knowing, brethren beloved, your election of God" (1 Thess. 1:2-3). Like the church in Ephesus they worked for God but their labor was a labor of love. I do things for my wife, my children and my church not because I have to but because I'm please to, because it brings me joy to serve those that I love. Paul wrote, "For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead: And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again" (2 Cor. 5:13-15). When God's will for our lives and our service to him feels like a chore and an obligation we are in desperate need of spiritual renewal--we have left our first love. Seek to know Jesus with all your heart until your service to him becomes a labor of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Protect your Children from Shame

Don’t  Protect your Children from Shame   Over the years, I’ve heard many sermons and read many articles suggesting that feeling shame is ha...