Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Don't just point out the sin in others, point others to the Savior

"So Samuel called unto the LORD; and the LORD sent thunder and rain that day: and all the people greatly feared the LORD and Samuel. 19 And all the people said unto Samuel, Pray for thy servants unto the LORD thy God, that we die not: for we have added unto all our sins this evil, to ask us a king. 20 And Samuel said unto the people, Fear not: ye have done all this wickedness: yet turn not aside from following the LORD, but serve the LORD with all your heart; 21 And turn ye not aside: for then should ye go after vain things, which cannot profit nor deliver; for they are vain. 22 For the LORD will not forsake his people for his great name's sake: because it hath pleased the LORD to make you his people. 23 Moreover as for me, God forbid that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you: but I will teach you the good and the right way: 24 Only fear the LORD, and serve him in truth with all your heart: for consider how great things he hath done for you" (1 Sam 12:18-24).

After a display of God's power the Israelites realized that they had sinned against the Lord in asking Samuel for a king. Therefore fearing God's judgment, they asked Samuel to pray for them. Samuel responded, "Fear not: ye have done all this wickedness: yet turn not aside from following the LORD, but serve the LORD with all your heart; 21 And turn ye not aside: for then should ye go after vain things, which cannot profit nor deliver; for they are vain. 22 For the LORD will not forsake his people for his great name's sake: because it hath pleased the LORD to make you his people." And after reminding them that God hadn't forsaken them and that it pleased the Lord to make them His people, Samuel said, "God forbid that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you. Only fear the LORD, and serve him in truth with all your heart: for consider how great things he hath done for you."
Sometimes when we hear that a brother or sister has fallen into sin (especially when they sin against us) we feel like writing them off. But thank God that He never writes us off when we sin. We are sometimes quick to rebuke others but slow to remind them of who they are in Christ and what he has done for them? When others sin we are quick to point out their sin rather than to point them to the savior.

In an article entitled "Reminders Are More Effective Than Rebukes" TULLIAN TCHIVIDJIAN wrote, "Our calling is not to fix one another! So stop trying! You stop trying to fix me and I’ll stop trying to fix you. Instead, why don’t we “stir one another up to love and good deeds” by daily reminding one another, in humble love, of the riches we already possess in Christ. All the “good stuff” that is ours already in Christ settles at the bottom when we focus on ourselves more than Jesus (after all, Peter only began to sink when he took his eyes off Jesus and focused on his performance). John Owen said, “Holiness is nothing but the implanting, writing, and realizing of the gospel in our souls.” And what is the gospel? Not my work for Jesus, but Jesus’ work for me. In other words, holiness happens, not by looking at ourselves but by looking at Jesus. Therefore, it takes the loving act of our Christian brothers and sisters to remind us everyday of the gospel–that everything we need, and look for in things smaller than Jesus, are already ours “in Christ.” When this happens, the “good stuff” rises to the top. The Puritans used to say that far too many Christians live beneath the level of their privileges. Therefore, I need to be told by those around me that every time I sin I’m momentarily suffering from an identity crisis: forgetting who I actually belong to, what I really want at my remade core, and all that is already mine in Christ. The only way to deal with remaining sin long term is to develop a distaste for it in light of the glorious riches we already posses in Christ. I need my real friends to remind me of this–every day. Please tell me again and again that God does’t love me more when I obey or less when I disobey. Knowing this actually enlarges my heart for God and therefore shrinks my hunger for sin. So, don’t let me forget it. My life depends on it!"

The next time you find out someone you know is struggling with sin don't be so quick to just rebuke them. Remind them of the victory they have in Jesus. Remind them that their sin no longer has dominion over them--that they are "dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord (Rom. 6:11). Remind them that "if we confess are sins He (God) is faithful and just to forgive us of our sin and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9). Have you sinned against the Lord. Turn to Him in repentance. He's waiting for you with open arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Protect your Children from Shame

Don’t  Protect your Children from Shame   Over the years, I’ve heard many sermons and read many articles suggesting that feeling shame is ha...