Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Because you have prayed...

This blog was inspired by the September 1st devotional in Our Daily Bread upcoming issue.

“Then Isaiah the son of Amoz sent to Hezekiah, saying, “Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel: Because you have prayed to me concerning Sennacherib king of Assyria," Isaiah‬ ‭37:21‬

Because Hezekiah prayed, God moved to bring great deliverance. What has God done in my life because I prayed? God my Father has done many life changing things that are more than I can number. He's given me the grace to serve Him bi-vocationally for 20 years before retiring from the Police Department in 2015. I've seen the Lord provide opportunities for me to work days with weekends off for many years with the Police Department. He's protected me. I've seen the Lord transform lives that previously seemed to be hopeless cases. Freddie comes to my mind in how God, by His marvelous grace, delivered him from a life that was on a road to destruction, into a man of God raising a beautiful family.

Often, God has enabled me to prepare messages with insight from passages of scripture that at first seemed difficult to understand. God has delivered me from serious health issues. He has Installed me as senior Pastor of an historic church. Used me to bring others to Christ. Gifted me with four healthy sons, who know God, and have become police officers, following in their father's foot steps. Blessed me with a believing wife, who stands by me. He's also surrounded me with loving and supportive brothers and sisters in Christ, who encourage and pray for me.

What has God done in my life because I've prayed? I'm certain that He's not only done many things that I know of, but no doubt things I don't even realize or have taken for granted.

Now, in light of how God has clearly worked in our lives because we have prayed, what is He not doing in our life that He would do, if we'd persevered in prayer? This is a most profound question to ponder when we consider that nothing is impossible to the God who promises to work in our lives in answer to prayer.

What glories could I be missing out on? How much more would I know of God's transforming glory, if I would but wait more before God's presence in scripture fed, worshiped based and Spirit led prayer? Paul summed it up when he wrote, “Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.” Ephesians‬ ‭3:20-21‬

Hezekiah, instead of worrying, gave the specific threats of the enemy to God in prayer (spread them out before Him) and God answered. We must learn to do the same, if we are going to see God move and experience His abounding peace. Thank Him for what He's already done in your life, and continue to cast your cares upon the Lord for He cares for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Protect your Children from Shame

Don’t  Protect your Children from Shame   Over the years, I’ve heard many sermons and read many articles suggesting that feeling shame is ha...