Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Stewards not Stars

Stewards not Stars
1 Cor. 4:1-5

“This is how one should regard us, as servants of Christ and stewards of the mysteries of God. Moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found faithful. But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by any human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself. For I am not aware of anything against myself, but I am not thereby acquitted. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore do not pronounce judgment before the time, before the Lord comes, who will bring to light the things now hidden in darkness and will disclose the purposes of the heart. Then each one will receive his commendation from God.” 1 Corinthians‬ ‭4:1-5‬ ‭‬‬

The greatness of the Apostle Paul, some of the keys to why he was so mightily used by God, was that he did what he did for God's eyes only, as a steward of Christ, not an owner or star of the show. His focus was on fulling the calling of God, namely to present others mature in Christ for the glory of Christ (Col. 1:28-29).

When I retired early from the Police Department to go into full time ministry, I did so, not only because I believed God led me. I also believed that I could be more effective by having more time to focus on the responsibilities of a Pastor. Being more effective as a Pastor doesn't necessarily mean taking on more responsibility. It means staying focused on biblical priorities, with the ultimate aim of making much of Jesus, and pleasing Him. Paul wrote, “For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ” (Galatians‬ ‭1:10‬).

Although my aim for going into full time ministry was to focus more on biblical priorities, I've allowed myself to feel the pressure of what I perceived to be the expectations of others. Not that people were making demands of me. I serve an exceptionally supportive and understanding church. It was more my perceived expectations. In other words, I thought, "I should be able to do more, because I have more time." But these are not the thoughts that I should be preoccupied with. My focus should be on doing what God wants me to do in dependence upon His grace, and trusting Him for the outcome.

Looking for a specific quote today on effective ministry,  I came across these words from John MacArthur, which really hit home. "Early in my first year or so at Grace Community Church, I had this little kind of motto that I used: “If you concentrate on the depth of your ministry, God will take care of the breadth of it.” My ministry hasn’t changed since that first year in that small, little church. For me, it’s all about getting into the depth of Scripture and my own personal walk with the Lord. Breadth is something that God does, and I think you’ve got to come to that, or you’re going to frustrate yourself when you compare yourself with all kinds of other people and other situations."

Being preoccupied with the breadth of ministry, rather than focusing on the depth, which starts in my own heart with God, led to, among other thing, neglecting to take the adequate time needed to rest and recover from serious health issues.  Although God showed me the sufficiency of His grace during the time, there was a part of me that felt the pressure to get back to work. I thought, "The ministry needs you. Suck it up." Of course there are times when we need to suck it up, but there's a time for rest and recovery too. But that rest and recovery will only happen in my life when I remember that the ministry doesn't depend on me. As JM said, "If you concentrate on the depth of your ministry, God will take care of the breadth of it."

However, when I retired from the Police Department, it wasn't to rest more, but to focus more on the work of ministry. I had plans to take the church to the next level, but God had plans to take me to the next level.  To get me there I need to, among other things, learn to rest in the Lord. I needed to be reminded, that I'm only a steward of the work of the church. I'm not the star of the show, working to please a crowd. I'm a servant of Christ, seeking to make much of Him. And if Christ be lifted up, He will be the draw, not me.

I'm on a sabbatical now seeking to be restored physically and spiritually. This extra time off has not only given me time to rest, it has brought to light some deep issues of the heart that need to be dealt with. I believe my good good father has slowed me down so I can learn some valuable lessons. He wants to make me a more effective Pastor in the long run. He's teaching me how much more I need to keep my eyes on Jesus and who I am in Him.

In a book I've been reading during my sabbatical that has been a great help to me, Lance Will writes, “A reporter once asked an insightful question when interviewing a woman from the Boston Philharmonic Orchestra: “How does it feel to get a standing ovation from the crowd at the end of your performance and then wake up in the morning to a negative review in the newspaper?” Her response was even more insightful. She said over time she has learned not to pay attention to the applause of the crowd or the disapproval of the critics. She was only after the approval of her conductor. After all, he was the only person who really knew how she was supposed to perform...God reminded me that my significance has nothing to do with the name of the church on my business card. God also drilled into my spirit that he’s the conductor of the symphony; my job was to play my part and look only for his approval. At the end of the day, he will evaluate my life not on the world’s definition of success but on his definition of faithfulness.” Witt, Lance. “Replenish.” Baker Publishing Group. iBooks.

God help me to remember that I'm just a steward in His Kingdom work. And if I focus on the depth, He will take care of the breadth. Father, do a deep work of restoring my soul for the greater fame of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Protect your Children from Shame

Don’t  Protect your Children from Shame   Over the years, I’ve heard many sermons and read many articles suggesting that feeling shame is ha...