Friday, August 5, 2016

Zombie Fears

Kinemortophobia
(Zombie Fears)

“For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not, I am the one who helps you.” Isaiah‬ ‭41:13‬

This morning I woke up with anxious thoughts about random things. As I sought to set my mind on the Lord, I got this message from a teen: "Pastor Marco I am so sorry to bother you this early but please I really need help please. One of my biggest fears is zombies. Please, help me. I couldn't sleep and I'm shaking with fear because I saw a movie last night. Can you give me a scripture to read? Or a prayer to pray? Please. I'm sorry again."

My first thought when reading her message was that her fear was irrational. And as I thought about a scripture to send her to help calm her fears, I came across Isaiah 41:13, which reads, “For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not, I am the one who helps you” (Isaiah‬ ‭41:13).  As I prepared to send the young teen this verse, the thought came to me that, if the Lord my God is holding my right hand, if he is the one who is helping me, and He is, then anything that I fear or may feel anxious about, is irrational. I have no reason to be anxious anymore than a person has a reason to fear a Zombie that doesn't exist. God is holding my hand, (if I'm walking with Him), and any problem in front of me, real or imagined, is nothing to Him.

Sometimes we differentiate between little problems and big problems. I've heard it said that some people for some reason don't feel comfortable praying about little problems. They only bring their big problems to God. But the truth is that it's all little to God. This was the perspective that David had when he defeated Goliath. While every one else feared, because they saw how much bigger Goliath was than they were; David was filled with faith, because he saw how much bigger God was than Goliath. And like a zombie killer, he cut Goliath's head off. David was victorious for he went into that battle knowing that God was holding his hand.

They say that the way to kill a zombie is by crushing its head. Jesus really crushed the head of Satan. If we had something to fear, it would be the devil, especially if we were not walking with God. This would be the case, not because he's a threat to God, but because we would be outside of God's protection. When we stray from the Lord, we become easy prey for the enemy. We go astray, not because the devil is stronger than God. At the cross, Jesus crushed the head of Satan so that all who believe can know God and walk in the victory that is found in Him. We go astray when we believe the devil's lies, when we allow him to distract us and take our eyes off of Jesus.

If you're fearful, more than likely, you have taken your eyes of of Jesus, who through His death and resurrection, defeated all of man's greatest fears, namely death and the devil. Look unto Jesus, and praise your Heavenly Father, who declared, “For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not, I am the one who helps you" (Isaiah‬ ‭41:13‬). The God, who holds the whole world in one hand, is holding you with His other hand. And He will never let you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Protect your Children from Shame

Don’t  Protect your Children from Shame   Over the years, I’ve heard many sermons and read many articles suggesting that feeling shame is ha...