Friday, January 11, 2019

Coincidence or Providence

On that night the king could not sleep. And he gave orders to bring the book of memorable deeds, the chronicles, and they were read before the king.” - Esther 6:1

The night the king could not sleep, rather than tossing and turning in bed, he gave orders to have a bedtime story read to him. Specifically, he asked for the book of memorable deeds to be read to him. During this time when he could not sleep, he learned about the memorable deed of Mordecai of exposing a plot that saved the King’s life. 

The king then asked, "What honor or distinction has been bestowed on Mordecai for this?" The King's young men who attended him said, "Nothing has been done for him”  - Esther 6:3

At that very moment, Haman, who hated Mordecai, and his people because they were Jewish, was in the outer courts of the King's palace. He was there to ask the King permission to hang Mordecai on the gallows that he had already built for him. When the King learned it was Haman, he had him brought in and asked him, "What should be done to the man whom the king delights to honor?" And Haman said to himself, "Whom would the king delight to honor more than me?" - Esther 6:6

Haman, thinking he was the man the King wanted to honor, suggested to the King, “let royal robes be brought, which the king has worn, and the horse that the king has ridden, and on whose head a royal crown is set. And let the robes and the horse be handed over to one of the king's most noble officials. Let them dress the man whom the king delights to honor, and let them lead him on the horse through the square of the city, proclaiming before him: 'Thus shall it be done to the man whom the king delights to honor'" - Esther 6:8-9

The King loved the idea and said to Haman, "Hurry; take the robes and the horse, as you have said, and do so to Mordecai the Jew, who sits at the king's gate. Leave out nothing that you have mentioned” - Esther 6:10

Haman did as the King commanded, and afterwards went home and had a pity party before his wife and friends. A few days later, Haman’s own plot to exterminate the Jewish people was exposed before the King, and He was hung on the very gallows he had built for Mordecai in his own backyard.

Were all these events coincidences? Was it a coincidence that the King couldn’t sleep one night, which lead to these chains of events, or was it providence?

Coincidence can be defined as, “a striking occurrence of two or more events at one time, apparently by mere chance.” Providence can be defined as: “The foreseeing care and guidance of God directing the universe and the affairs of humankind with wise benevolence.”

The events that took place in the book of Esther that led to the demise of wicked Haman, and the exaltation of Mordecai were not coincidences. In fact, the book of Esther is filled with other extraordinary events, like Esther being at the right place at the right time, which made it possible for her to speak up on behalf of her people.

The providence of God in the historic events found in the book of Esther didn’t work out in the favor of Haman. But they did work out for the good of God’s people. And God promises to do the same for His redeemed people today (Romans 8:28). This doesn’t mean that a believer will never experience hardships, but that God, who rules over the affairs of man, can use them in a way where our lives are positioned and fashion to bring great good and glory to our King.

When the King, who couldn’t sleep, learned from the book of memorable deeds of the plot that Mordecai exposed, which saved his life, he asked, “What honor or distinction has been bestowed on Mordecai for this?" His servants responded, "Nothing has been done for him” - Esther 6:3

There may be times in our lives when even the good things that we do don’t seem to be working for our good or the good of others. There may be times when we will feel forgotten, looked over or persecuted for a good thing we’ve done in the name of Jesus. Perhaps that’s where you are now. You may have lost a job or didn’t get the position you prayed for and you suspect that it has something to do with your faith. You worked hard, but like Mordecai nothing has been done for you. Bad luck? Coincidence? Or providence?

Six months after I retired early from the Police Department to accept the call of full-time pastor at Midwest Bible Church, I was diagnosed with cancer. Three years later, when I thought I was out of the woods, I received the difficult news that my cancer was back and that this time around the prognosis was grim. Did I make a mistake? I left a promising and secure career to devote myself more fully to shepherding the flock of God. But a few months later, doctors are telling me that I may only have a few months to live.  

Back in June of 2018, I underwent surgery to deal with a bowel obstruction caused by a tumor in my stomach. The surgeon was able to free the bowel obstruction, but was unable to remove the tumor in my stomach or the ones that metastasized to my liver. My prayer during this time was, Lord, I don’t know what to do or what’s going to happen, but my eyes are on you. There were also moments when my eyes shifted from God to my circumstances, and it all seemed so meaningless.

While I was still recovering from the surgery, a dear friend named Scott, whom I'd met through a mutual friend, called me. To others, Scott may seem like just a random person that I happened to cross paths with, but to me he’s a gift from God. Soon after I met Scott, he has been burdened to pray for me, my wife and four sons. I don’t deserve and I don’t fully comprehend it, but this man loves me and my family. We really have not had many opportunities to spend time together. Nevertheless, I love this man and he loves me and one way that he loves me is by laboring in prayer for me. Coincidence or providence?

Scott flies a private jet for a wealthy gentleman, whose fiancée is a renown plastic surgeon. Scott’s boss and fiancée learned from him about my situation. The renown plastic surgeon adamantly suggested to Scott that I go see a renowned transplant surgeon that she knew to get his opinion. She said, “If I was in the Pastor’s shoes, that’s who I would go see. If anyone can remove that tumor he’s the man.” There’s so much more that I can write about how God in His providence has worked in my life, but let me just conclude with the fact that today, six months after meeting the new surgeon, all tumors have been eradicated from my body. Coincidence or providence?         

God has turned things around. Although there have been sleepless nights, pain and tears, I’ve seen God’s hand working through it all in ways I have never experienced before. One of the ways I’ve seen God working is in how he’s connected me with people I’ve never would have met if I had not been on the journey I’m on now. I see God putting me in a position to have a greater platform to proclaim the message of the gospel of the grace of God. Although it’s not been an easy road, and there are still uncertainties ahead, I believe God in His providence has brought me to where I am for such a time as this (Esther 4:14).

 A Christian who works for a career management service wrote the following an article on providence:

“It’s not just by some stroke of luck or unluck that you find yourself looking for a new job or considering a career change at this point in your life and in a sluggish economy. It’s not just by some random event that you stumbled upon this blog about job search and dealing with its challenges from a Christian perspective. It’s about God putting His plan in place and “omnisciently directing the universe and the affairs of humankind.” You see, my idea and goal is to help people move from a place of inactivity in their career or job search to a place of satisfaction and reward in their career. In order for that to happen, events have to happen, people have to meet, information must be shared between the right people, action must take place, and decisions have to be made. The most amazing part of this whole Providential idea is that the same God who stands above over creation, and who spoke the universe into existence, is looking down on you and me, and carefully, strategically ordering such small events to take place so that He can give you hope and a future. “In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.”  Proverbs 16:9

Wherever you find yourself today, look to the cross. It didn’t look good for Jesus when in a bloody mess He hung on the cross. But three days later He rose again proving among other things that where wicked men rule, God over rules. God has the final word.

Jesus died for our sin and rose again to not only graciously save all who believe, but to assure those who believe that no matter where you find yourself today it’s not because of happenstance. Jesus hung in there so that when we feel like giving up we can look to him and receive the strength to also hang in there. God has you where He wants you. Be still and know the salvation of the Lord!

To be still doesn’t mean don’t do anything. It can simply mean that if you can’t sleep at night, don’t just lay there. It’s not just indigestion. Open your bible, meditate on God’s word and let Him speak to your heart. Pray about what God is saying to you. Because of God’s providence, your sleepless night can be the beginning of God turning things around for you or someone else. O never forget that where man rules, God overrules.       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Protect your Children from Shame

Don’t  Protect your Children from Shame   Over the years, I’ve heard many sermons and read many articles suggesting that feeling shame is ha...