Tuesday, January 15, 2019

WE NEED FACE-TO-FACE QUALITY TIME WITH OTHERS

“I will visit you after passing through Macedonia, for I intend to pass through Macedonia, and perhaps I will stay with you or even spend the winter, so that you may help me on my journey, wherever I go. For I do not want to see you now just in passing. I hope to spend some time with you, if the Lord permits. But I will stay in Ephesus until Pentecost, for a wide door for effective work has opened to me, and there are many adversaries” (1 Cor. 16:5-9).

As I read this passage in my morning devotions, I was struck by verse seven where Paul communicates to the Corinthian believers, “For I do not want to see you now just in passing. I hope to spend some time with you, if the Lord permits” (1 Cor. 16:5-9).  Paul desired to visit with the church in Corinth. However, he didn’t just want to do a drive by. He communicated, “I don’t want to see you now just in passing.”

Paul understood the vital need and effectiveness of spending quality time with other believers for mutual encouragement and edification.  One of the most, if not the most loving and impactful things you can do with another person is to spend time with them. It takes time to know a person's heart and to communicate your heart with another person. 

In our modern age, there are other ways to communicate with another person and we should take full advantage of them for various reasons. However, nothing compares with setting aside quality time to meet with another face -to-face. The Apostle John wrote to believers in his day, Though I have much to write to you, I would rather not use paper and ink. Instead I hope to come to you and talk face to face, so that our joy may be complete” (2 John 1:12).  

There are many reasons why face-to-face communication is more effective than other forms. Face-to-face communication is more engaging, more real, more personal, and more heart to heart just to name a few. But in order for this to happen we must prayerfully plan and use our time wisely. Paul had a plan, he looked to God to permit him to execute it, and he discerned well when God was opening the door. He didn’t want to spin his wheels. He was also aware that there would be many adversaries to effective face-to-face ministry.

I have four grown sons with busy schedules. Although we all live in the same house, I see them in passing. That’s not enough. They need their Father’s listening ear and wisdom and I need them. This morning I sent them all the following message: “In 2019 with your cooperation one of my goals is to meet with each of you once a month for some Father and son time. Here's my plan. The first week of the month I meet with Andrew, second week with Adam, third week with Aaron and last week with Alex. We will work it out on Monday mornings what day of the week is best.” 

In our day and age, the technological tools that can be helpful in communication, often rob us of time needed or become cheap substitutes for spending quality time with others. Being in the same room with our faces in our cell phones is not the same. We need to be present with our love ones. Don’t just see them in passing. Make time for those who need it. You need it too.  

One more thing: Before you look into the face of another or talk with another person, make it a habit to first seek the face of God and hear from Him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Protect your Children from Shame

Don’t  Protect your Children from Shame   Over the years, I’ve heard many sermons and read many articles suggesting that feeling shame is ha...