Wednesday, January 16, 2019

THE POWER OF INTERCESSORY PRAYER

"For we do not want you to be unaware, brothers, of the affliction we experienced in Asia. For we were so utterly burdened beyond our strength that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt that we had received the sentence of death. But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead. 10 He delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will deliver us again. 11 You also must help us by prayer, so that many will give thanks on our behalf for the blessing granted us through the prayers of many" (2 Cor. 1:8-11). 

Since being diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in June of 2018, many brothers and sisters in Christ have brought me before God in prayer for healing and restoration. People all over the country and in other parts of the world have been praying for me. It's been about seven months since my grim diagnosis and on a regular bases I still receive cards in the mail from people all over the country expressing, "I'm praying for you." I’m so humbled and thankful.

I have (a retired Police officer) received letters from inmates, (believers), serving time in state prisons across Illinois. These letters, expressing their love and fervent prayer for me, have been some of the most moving and encouraging letters I have received. One inmate wrote from Dixon Prison:

Who would have thought 20 years ago a convict would be writing an ex-police officer and not only writing but sincerely praying for him and it's a blessing to me. I know your story and love for Christ. Only Jesus Christ allows us to remove all titles and love as brothers. Trust and obey. When we trust and obey God He does the unbelievable things in our lives. I love you brother. God bless you, your wife, and family (Psalm 62-1-2). You are in our prayers and part of our family Marco. 

Rejoicing always because of Jesus
Paul B. 

Another inmate from Dixon prison wrote:

Dear Pastor Marco

Greetings! I rejoice to hear the praise report of the Lord's healing power in your life. He is faithful! Rejoice! Know that you, and Liz are always in my thoughts and prayers. Be strong and encouraged. The battle is not yours but the Lord's. Remember, greater is He who is in you than He who is in the world; and you are more than a conqueror in Christ Jesus. I love you, and God bless, Liz and your home.

Peace and love
Bro. Modesto E. 

The Apostle Paul, who was delivered from death in answer to prayer and still was facing many challenges wrote to the church in Corinth: “You also must help us by prayer…” (2 Cor. 1:11)

Paul understood well the power of intercessory prayer in the economy of God. I often think, If the great Apostle Paul looked to the prayers of many to secure the help of heaven, how much more should I.

The great preacher Charles Spurgeon wrote: “As to how many souls intercessory prayer has instrumentally saved, recording angel, thou canst tell! Eternity, thou shalt reveal! There is nothing which intercessory prayer cannot do. Oh! believer, you have a mighty engine in your hand, use it well, use it constantly, use it now with faith, and thou shalt surely prevail. And, O God, lend us thy strength now, that this duty may come forcibly home to our conscience, and we may at once engage in this exercise!”

Today, I no longer have stage four cancer. And I know that my deliverance has come in answer to the prayers of many who were moved by the love of God to pray for me.

In light of all that God has done for me in answer to the prayers of many, I’ve asked myself recently, how much time do I spend laboring in prayer for others? I must confess that I can’t say that I labor in prayer for others as much as I know others labor in prayer for me. I want this to change by the grace of God. Spurgeon, who was helped by the prayers of many, expresses the same sentiments:

“Brethren, I have to EXHORT YOU TO PRAY FOR OTHERS. Before I do it, I will ask you a personal question. Do you always pray for others? Guilty or not guilty, here? Do you think you have taken the case of your children, your church, your neighbourhood, and the ungodly world before God as you ought to have done? If you have, I have not. For I stand here a chief culprit before the Master to make confession of the sin; and while I shall exhort you to practice what is undoubtedly a noble privilege, I shall be most of all exhorting myself.”

It important for us to see also that Paul, who wrote, “You also must help us by prayer…” followed up that plea with what should be the ultimate motivation for intercessory prayer: “…so that many will give thanks on our behalf for the blessing granted us through the prayers of many" (2 Cor. 1:11).   

Remember that Bro. Modesto, an inmate at Dixon prison, who has been praying on my behalf, wrote in his letter to me: “I rejoice to hear the praise report of the Lord's healing power in your life. He is faithful! Rejoice!" Many others also who have prayed for me are not only rejoicing and praising God for the power of prayer, but are sharing my testimony with others. Furthermore, several fellow saints have shared with me that my testimony has opened doors for them to share the hope of the gospel with others who were moved by how God has worked in my life in answer to prayer.  

O may God, who works mightily in answer to prayer, give us much grace to labor in prayer for one another for our good and to the greater fame of Jesus!   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Protect your Children from Shame

Don’t  Protect your Children from Shame   Over the years, I’ve heard many sermons and read many articles suggesting that feeling shame is ha...