Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Is the light on in your house?

"And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord: Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold. And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house...For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost" (Luke 19:8-11).

The faith of Zacchaeus in Jesus Christ not only brought him personal salvation but his faith also brought salvation to his house. The greek word "Oikos" translated house in Luke 19:10 refers to those who lived with Zacchaeus, such as his family and servants. Saint Paul said to the jailer, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house" (Acts 16). If you're a believer you have an Oikos (household) of family and friends, which have the opportunity of coming to Christ because they know you. For example, Saint Paul wrote, "And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him. For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy...For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?" (1 Cor. 7:14-16). In what way are unbelieving spouses and children sanctified by living in the same household with a believing spouse and parent? The word sanctified means set apart. An unbelieving spouse is in a blessed position--in a speacial place as a member of the same household with a believer, assuming that the believer is striving to be a compelling wintness to the saving power of Jesus Christ. Potiphar (a heathen) was blessed and prospered because Joseph, who knew the true God, lived in his household. But more than material blessings a person that is unsaved, whose in the same household with a believer, needs Jesus. Christian, that is why you are where you are. We are to go after the lost. But the fact is that Christians are already where some of the lost are. God has strategically placed Chrisitians where they are to reach their relational world for Christ. Through someone they know(family, friend, co-worker) is how most people come to know Christ. Most of my brothers and sisters know Christ as their savior. My brother and I witnessed to my father for several months before he came to Christ. My sister led my mother to Christ. While we were still dating, I led my wife to Christ shortly after I got saved. By the grace of God all of my children are saved. I've had the privilede of leading cousins and fellow officers that I work with to Christ. If you're a Christian God is keeping you around so that you can shine the light of Jesus to those in your orbit. Is the light on in your house?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Protect your Children from Shame

Don’t  Protect your Children from Shame   Over the years, I’ve heard many sermons and read many articles suggesting that feeling shame is ha...