Tuesday, January 25, 2011

"Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ."

"I am not able to bear all this people alone, because it is too heavy for me. 15 And if thou deal thus with me, kill me, I pray thee, out of hand, if I have found favour in thy sight; and let me not see my wretchedness. And the LORD said unto Moses, Gather unto me seventy men of the elders of Israel, whom thou knowest to be the elders of the people, and officers over them; and bring them unto the tabernacle of the congregation, that they may stand there with thee. And I will come down and talk with thee there: and I will take of the spirit which is upon thee, and will put it upon them; and they shall bear the burden of the people with thee, that thou bear it not thyself alone" (Numbers 11:14-17).

When the Israelite began to murmur in the wilderness about food, Moses began to feel overwhelmed and he cried out to God. Moses felt like, "I just can't do it anymore. Leading all these people through the wilderness is just too hard." Moses, the great man of God was ready to crack. But God reminded Moses of the 70 men that were previously ordained to help him and called on them to come to the tabernacle. And the Lord said unto Moses, "And I will come down and talk with thee there: and I will take of the spirit which is upon thee, and will put it upon them; and they shall bear the burden of the people with thee, that thou bear it not thyself alone." It's interesting to me that these men were previously ordained to help Moses when his father-in-law observed that he was taking on way to many responsibilities. But for some reason these men were either not utilized or unwilling to do their part. The Apostle Paul wrote, "Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. 2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ" (Gal. 6:1-2).

There are people all around us that need us to help them bear the burdens. That is what being a Christian is all about. There is a single mother that is overwhelmed with the burden of working, taking care of her children, and a whole host of other responsibilities that can use a break. There's a senior citizen that would love to come to church but doesn't have a ride. There's a father who lost his job because of the poor economy who needs some financial help. There's a Pastor who is just doing way too many things that rather than receiving criticism from you and others can use some help, some prayer and some encouragement. "Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Protect your Children from Shame

Don’t  Protect your Children from Shame   Over the years, I’ve heard many sermons and read many articles suggesting that feeling shame is ha...