Saturday, January 22, 2011

Seek the mind of God

"And the Israelitish woman's son blasphemed the name of the Lord, and cursed. And they brought him unto Moses...And they put him in ward, (custody) that the mind of the LORD might be shewed them" (Lev. 24:11-12).

How often I've been quick to judge someone else because of a feeling that they are not doing things like they ought to before the Lord. In the above passage a man blasphemed and cursed the name of the Lord. This act took place during the early Old Testament era when God was establishing the fact that his name was to be hallowed among the Israelites. But before Mose gave his judgment about what to do with this blasphemer, he sought the mind and will of the Lord. He wasn't so quick to judge. How much more should we, who are not under the law but under grace, take time to seek God's mind about how to deal with someone that has sinned against the Lord and us.

There’s a time for tuff love and there's a time to be merciful. But sometimes it's very hard to discern which way to go when dealing with someone who is in a hole because of their own foolishness. I've struggled with this issue recently and was a little too quick in making a judgment. But when I got around to seeking God's mind and really praying about it the Lord gave me this verse: "Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy" (Matthew 5:7). As I meditated on that verse I realized that I was ready to come down
hard on someone who was struggling in an area where I too have had similar struggles. The Lord said, to me, "Do you enjoy the mercy and patience I have with you?" I said, oh yes my Lord. I am so thankful for your abundant patience and mercy with me." And the Lord responded, "How about extending some of that same mercy to others." Your situation and circumstance might be different. But whatever it is make sure that before you make any moves, seek the mind and will of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Protect your Children from Shame

Don’t  Protect your Children from Shame   Over the years, I’ve heard many sermons and read many articles suggesting that feeling shame is ha...