Thursday, January 20, 2011

True life is found in holiness.

"And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, I am the LORD your God. After the doings of the land of Egypt, wherein ye dwelt, shall ye not do...Ye shall do my judgments, and keep mine ordinances, to walk therein: I am the LORD your God. Ye shall therefore keep my statutes, and my judgments: which if a man do, he shall live in them: I am the LORD." (Lev. 18:1-5).

The Lord calls us to live lives of holiness. What does it mean to live a life of holiness? God said to Moses, "After the doings of the land of Egypt, wherein ye dwelt, shall ye not do." The land of Egypt represented the worldly system of that day. The Israelites were not to live according to the standards and values set by the world, but by the standards set by God. In the same way we are not to live by the standards and values of this world, but by the eternal values and standards God has set for us. “Although believers today are not under the law (Romans 6:14), all the eternal principles of right and wrong which are contained in the law are restated for Christians in the teaching of the New Testament” (Martin, Alfred).

There are clear promises from God that our realized by those who live lives of holiness. God said, "Ye shall therefore keep my statutes, and my judgments: which if a man do, he shall live in them: I am the LORD" (Lev. 18:5). Notice that God said, “Which if a man do (walk in holiness) “he shall live in them.” This promise is not just an Old Testament promise. The Apostle Paul said, "For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live" (Rom. 8:13). True life is found in holiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Protect your Children from Shame

Don’t  Protect your Children from Shame   Over the years, I’ve heard many sermons and read many articles suggesting that feeling shame is ha...