Tuesday, May 17, 2011

God my exceeding joy

"Judge me, O God, and plead my cause...O deliver me from the deceitful and unjust man. For thou art the God of my strength: why dost thou cast me off? why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy? O send out thy light and thy truth: let them lead me; let them bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy tabernacles. Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God. Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God" (Psalm 43:1-5).

Psalm's 43 teaches us that no matter how we're feeling or what we're going through we can pour out our souls to God and he will hear us. The Psalms also teach us that when we are down, oppressed or in turmoil, we need to not only petition the Lord, but we need to be reminded of who He is. We need to Plead before God for help, but we need also to praise his name. We need to pour out our souls to God but we need also to see God.

The Psalmist proclaimed, "O send out thy light and thy truth: let them lead me; let them bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy tabernacles. Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee..." (Psalm 43).
In his deep mourning and oppression the Psalmist knew that what he needed was not just deliverance from his problem but he needed to be brought into God's presence. God was his exceeding joy. When you're down, worried or fearful tell God about it and pray also for God to bring you into the joy of His presence. Depression will turn into delight and fear will turn to faith when worry turns to worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don’t Protect your Children from Shame

Don’t  Protect your Children from Shame   Over the years, I’ve heard many sermons and read many articles suggesting that feeling shame is ha...